History

 

GeschichteEngen has a long and vivid history. 14.000 years ago already people used to live in this area. Important findings at the nearby Peters' Rock and Gnirs Cave are sufficient proof . These caves were resting places for roaming reindeer hunters and their families. Dating from this era the "Venus of Engen", a small abstract statue of a woman made of a carbon substance.

About 1.500 - 1.300 years ago the Alamans founded a settlement in the "Altdorf" (old village), opposite the town on the other side of the railway line. The historic centre of Engen was mentioned in an official document for the first time in the 11th century.

In the late Middle Ages the settlement developed into a considerably sized town. Some noble families´ houses were built on the Market Square, the town church was erected as a romanesque basilica, and a convent was established where the Engen Museum and Gallery is to be found today. The plague raged through Engen in the 17th century and two fires (1845 and 1911) destroyed large parts of the town centre .

Nowadays the complete historic centre of Engen is under monument protection. Beginning in the mid-1970s it has been completely restored, so that Engen glows in its historical beauty. For its exemplary redevelopment Engen has received several awards.